Defending Against Domestic Violence Charges
Defending Against Domestic Violence Charges Domestic violence charges encompass a wide range of alleged offenses that may include any combination of the following:
- Assault against a family member
- Child abuse
- Spousal assault or abuse
- Child abandonment or reckless endangerment of a child
- Elder abuse
- Kidnapping and false imprisonment
- Violation of restraining or protective orders
Many prosecutors’ offices in Texas have adopted a “No-Drop” policy, which generally allows law enforcement to continue prosecution of domestic violence charges even if the complaining party subsequently requests that charges be dropped. This is intended to provide additional support to victims of repeated domestic abuse but can sometimes lead to the prosecution of individuals on false charges.
Texas law enforcement officials are typically guided by two statewide policies when investigating complaints of domestic violence:
- The No-Drop policy generally allows law enforcement to continue prosecution on domestic violence charges even if the complaining party subsequently requests that they be dropped. This is intended to provide added help for victims of repeated domestic abuse but can sometimes lead to the prosecution of individuals on false charges.
- Texas also maintains a Zero Tolerance policy that requires law enforcement officers to make an arrest for domestic violence if they have any reason to believe that an injury has occurred in the precipitating incident. These two provisions can combine to create serious legal problems for individuals wrongly accused of domestic violence.
Spousal abuse and child abuse charges can create stress and may result in fines, jail time, and enforced separation from your family members. In most cases, the right Houston criminal attorney can provide the support you need during this difficult period to prevail in your case.
As an experienced Houston criminal defense attorney, Matthew Gallagher will work diligently to protect your rights to spend time with your family and will provide you with the best defense possible for your particular case. There may be mitigating factors or additional facts uncovered through investigation that can bolster your case and prevent a conviction on these charges.
Elder abuse has been gaining added attention in the media recently. Unfortunately, the normal process of aging or the consequences of poor health can sometimes be mistaken for signs of abuse. If you have been charged with elder abuse, engaging the services of an experienced Houston criminal defense lawyer is essential in proving your innocence and restoring your reputation.
Protective orders are issued by many different courts in Texas and are designed to protect victims of violence from future harm. If you have been victimized by an unfair and unsubstantiated protective order, you need help from a skillful Houston criminal attorney. Matthew Gallagher can represent you at the hearing and help you retain visitation and your other legal rights.
Allegations of kidnapping, aggravated kidnapping, and false imprisonment often occur when a non-custodial parent allegedly abducts a child or fails to return a child as previously ordered. If you have been charged with kidnapping or false imprisonment, Matthew Gallagher can help you effectively defend against such charges and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Domestic violence cases can be stressful for not only the party facing charges but also their entire family. By enlisting the help of Matthew Gallagher, you can ensure the best possible resolution for all the parties who may be affected by the case.